Contact Us Today 907-272-8181


How to Modify an Order for Child Custody in Alaska

Posted by Sarah-Kathryn Bryan | May 31, 2024 | 0 Comments

Court orders for child custody don't have to last until your child is eighteen if a change in circumstances occurs that warrants a modification.  When you request that the court modify its order for child custody, you have to prove two things: that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred and that a modification of child custody is in the child or children's best interests.

Proving that a Substantial Change in Circumstances Has Occurred

The court will deny a Motion to Modify Child Custody if the moving party fails to show that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred.  Working with an attorney can help you make the strongest argument that a change is substantial.

Proving that Your Proposed Change is in the Child's Best Interests

Courts are required by statute to consider a series of factors in order to determine what custody arrangement is in the child's best interests. After the moving party shows that a substantial change of circumstances has occurred, the moving party must prove that an award of greater custody would be in the child's best interests in light of that change in circumstances. 

Trusted Divorce and Child Custody Attorneys in Alaska

To work with an attorney to modify your child custody order, call Shortell Law LLC today at (907)272-8181.

About the Author

Sarah-Kathryn Bryan

Sarah Kathryn Bryan is an associate attorney at Shortell Law LLC. Ms. Bryan handles cases in family law, business, employment, estate planning and general civil litigation.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment