Alaska Employment and Labor Lawyer
Shortell Law, LLC has a proven record of fighting and winning employment law matters in Alaska. We represent clients on a broad range of employment issues in state and federal courts and in administrative proceedings before the Anchorage Equal Rights Commission, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Alaska State Commission for Human Rights and the Alaska Department of Labor.
We represent clients dealing with many employment law issues, including:
- Wrongful termination
- Employment discrimination and harassment claims
- EEOC proceedings for AK clients
- Federal sector EEOC hearings for clients in AK, AZ, CA, HI, ID, MT, NV, OR, and WA.
- Alaska Wage and Hour Act litigation
- FLSA collective actions
- Labor grievances
- Contract negotiations
- Noncompetition and separation agreements
- Executive and physician contracts
Shortell Law advises and represents individuals and businesses in employment matters. We also have experience in alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation.
Our Employment Law Successes
Caitlin Shortell haas obtained successful results and monetary settlements for private and public sector clients in virtually every type of workplace in the State of Alaska.
Here is just a sample of our accomplishments in employment law:
- Achieved monetary settlement for a federal sector employee who suffered hostile work environment harassment based on her race, sex, and age, and reprisal for prior EEO activity (2022)
- Obtained monetary relief for 18 construction workers in a FLSA collective action case against a multinational corporation (2016).
- Successfully represented numerous individual employees in litigation regarding wage & hour violations (2009-present)
- Obtained monetary settlement for a woman who was fired in retaliation for opposing discrimination in her employment as a heavy equipment operator (2018)
- Obtained monetary settlements for a group of university employees faced with internal investigations and terminations (2021)
- Obtained monetary settlements for victims of sexual harassment and hostile work environment harassment in both private sector and government jobs (2008-present)
- Won an arbitration and obtained monetary settlement for a public employee who was wrongfully terminated by a city (2018)
- Achieved accommodations for an educator who was discriminated against based on her vision and learning disabilities (2020)
- Achieved monetary settlement for a woman who was subjected to hostile work environment sexual harassment in her employment at a hospital (2021)
- Achieved monetary settlement for a Director of Nursing who had been wrongfully terminated (2021)
- Helped law enforcement officers, nurses, educators, and licensed clinical social workers retain their professional licenses (2015-present)
- Defended clients facing denial and revocation of professional licenses and certificates before the Alaska Police Standards Council, the Professional Teaching Practices Commission, and the Alaska Board of Nursing (2009-present)
- Achieved landmark damages awards and victories for complainants in discrimination hearings as Human Rights Advocate before the Alaska State Commission for Human Rights (2008-2009)