Contact Us Today 907-272-8181


What is an Action for Forcible Entry and Detainer?

Posted by Sarah-Kathryn Bryan | May 30, 2024 | 0 Comments

In Alaska, “Forcible Entry and Detainer” (F.E.D.) is a type of court case in which a property owner asks for possession of the owner's real property currently being occupied by another person. Sometimes this type of case is referred to as an eviction action. 

There are two parts to an F.E.D. court case: the eviction part and the damages part. The eviction hearing takes place soon after the case is filed. The daamges part is handled at a later date. 

What is the Eviction Portion of a Forcible Entry and Detainer Action?

During this part, the judge will decide whether to give the landlord possession of the property. Other issues will not be decided yet. 

What is the Damages Portion of a Forcible Entry and Detainer Action?

During this part, the court will decide whether the landlord will get a judgment against the tenant for money. This part is only needed if the landlord asks the court for money damages.  If the tenant files a counterclaim against the property owner, the counterclaim will be decided during this portion of the case.

Real Estate and Business Law Attorneys

To work with an attorney in your FED action, call Shortell Law LLC today at (907)272-8181.

About the Author

Sarah-Kathryn Bryan

Sarah Kathryn Bryan is an associate attorney at Shortell Law LLC. Ms. Bryan handles cases in family law, business, employment, estate planning and general civil litigation.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment